Research & Development
INTRACOM TELECOM invests a significant amount in R&D programmes annually to advance technological innovation. INTRACOM TELECOM's R&D programmes aim to develop cutting-edge products and competitive solutions on an international level that will meet the future business needs of telecommunications organisations and service providers. Through the projects implemented, advanced solutions offered, and the participation in R&D programmes, INTRACOM TELECOM is acknowledged as a company that creates Innovation.
According to recent research surveys conducted by the European Union (2004 and 2005 EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboards), INTRACOM was the only Greek company to be included in the list of the 300 largest European companies (irrespective of business sector) that invest heavily in R&D.
Investing in innovation
INTRACOM TELECOM invests roughly 6-8% of total revenue in R&D annually. Over the past five years the company has participated in more than 100 international research programmes (often as the lead partner), and has registered (through the Industrial Property Organisation and the European Patent Office) dozens of international patents.
INTRACOM TELECOM employs a significant number of highly trained scientists and engineers (more than any other Greek company in this field), who specialise in state-of-the-art technologies.
In order to facilitate the rapid design and development of technologically advanced, high-quality products and systems that meet the business needs of its customers, INTRACOM TELECOM maintains sophisticated R&D laboratories within its facilities. Among the laboratories are those dedicated to VLSI/Microelectronics, Digital Signal Processing, Content Delivery Systems, Network Management Systems, Multimedia Systems, Operation and Business Support Systems, Lottery Systems, EMI/EMC System Design Certification, Instruments Calibration Centre, Printed Circuit Boards, Broadband Networks (wireline and wireless), and Internet and Web Applications Development.
Research Laboratories >>>
Strong international partnerships
INTRACOM TELECOM collaborates and maintains strategic partnerships with internationally renowned companies with the purpose of jointly conducting research and developing new products and services in the field of telecommunications.
Developing innovative products
INTRACOM TELECOM is strategically investing in the design, development, and advancement of high quality products and solutions. It focuses on customer business demands, bridging the gap between advanced technology and the needs of the global market.
Start of page
Athens Information Technology (AIT)
To facilitate innovative product development, INTRACOM TELECOM carries out joint research projects with Athens Information Technology (AIT). AIT is an international non-profit educational and research centre established by INTRACOM HOLDINGS with the purpose of promoting scientific research and postgraduate education in the field of Information Technology and Telecommunications. AIT offers, in collaboration with world renowned Carnegie-Mellon University of USA, a specialised post-graduate programme leading to a Master of Science degree in Information Networking (MSIN).
Developing innovative products
INTRACOM TELECOM maintains an intensive focus on the development of systems primarily in the areas of Broadband Wireline & Wireless Systems, Content Delivery Networks, Microwave Transmission Systems, and Operation and Business Support Systems. R&D occupies a leading role at INTRACOM TELECOM, which increasingly engages in the promotion of its own technologies in international markets. INTRACOM TELECOM continually improves its products while at the same time - develops new solutions, driven by market demand. Recent developments include:
- The all new and innovative FS-CDN system with improved functionality and operational characteristics. The FS-CDN system is an integrated system for management, transmission, and presentation of video information (television), data (Internet) and telephony, addressing telecommunication service providers that want to differentiate themselves from their competitors by providing multiple services over broadband networks. Capabilities range from video-on-demand and radio program support to external billing interconnection. The system features an enhanced electronic program guide that is also added to set-top-boxes. New applications, such as e-mail and instant messaging, have also been incorporated. Fully operational pilot systems are currently on line in Greece, USA, Russia, and Romania.
- New WIBAS (Point-to-Multipoint Wireless Broadband Access System) operating in the frequency ranges of 26GHz, 28GHz, 10. GHz, 10GHz, 3.5GHz, and 1.5GHz. The system provides broadband services to urban, suburban, and rural areas. The WIBAS platform will incorporate OFDM technology in the immediate future to comply with the WIMAX standard.
- A new enhanced version of the IAS-W (IAS-Wireless) system, which is the main point-to-multipoint platform for the deployment of wireless access networks providing telephony, data, and BRA-ISDN services.
- A new generation of INTRALINK systems (including SDH systems at 7 - 23 GHz frequency range) with the main objective to introduce low-cost radio systems in the market.
- An enhanced IBAS/MSAN System/Platform (Multi Service Access Node) with new interfaces to provide a plethora of broadband network services. The IBAS system is offered to telecommunications organisations along with a development and availability road map taking into consideration all the international trends and standards that the international telecommunications networks industries adopt. IBAS provides switching capability of 5 Gb/s, supports 1.536 ADSL / POTS / G. SHDSL subscribers, and features Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces.
- New mini-DSLAM devices for the provision of broadband services, supporting 32, 64, 128 ADSL or G.SHDSL subscribers.
- A new enhanced version of the IAS-F (IAS-Fiber) system, which is the main digital platform for the deployment of cable access networks (copper, fiber) in urban and metropolitan areas.
- New VoIP terminal devices that interconnect PSTN / ISDN / VoIP networks to service small companies or demanding home users (SOHO). These devices, such as the netRoute family, combine the functionalities of a small PBX, router, and terminal adaptor with an ADSL interface and prepare the infrastructure of the subscriber for double and triple play services.
- New compact lotto terminals of the Coronis product family, which have been significantly reduced in size and incorporate increased capabilities and characteristics. Coronis products have been installed in more that 15 countries throughout the world and more than 20 new wagering games and applications are currently in real-time operation.
- New releases of management applications, such as: Broadband Management System (BBMS), Access Radio Management System (ARMS), Narrow Band Management System (NBMS), RTTMS (Real Time Traffic Management System), and Pair Gain Management System (PGMS)
- An enhanced version of the ActionStreamer product, featuring a new management console (based on portal technology to ensure a more secure system access), an easily customizable end-user graphical interface, and a new functionality to facilitate the display of statistics and alarms for on-line system monitoring.
- New and enhanced fault-management applications to meet increasing customer needs for network and service management of GSM, GPRS, 3G, ATM, LMDS, transmission SDH technologies, and IN and VMS services. The target is the continuous incorporation of new systems under the TeMIP platform and the development of a unified environment for, 2 nd, 2.5 and 3 rd generation networks.
- An upgraded version of the ServiceWeaver product to feature new services including Web2SMS Phase 2, SMS Prepaid Admin, and others.
- New intelligent networks (IN) services over the HP's OpenCall platform that enable telecoms service providers to attract new customers by providing competitive value-added services. Some of the new IN services are: Free Phone, Premium Rate, Universal Access Number, Tele-Voting, Prepaid, Account Card Calling, Virtual Private Network, Sponsored Call, Number Portability, Coloured Tone, Prepaid/Postpaid Calling, Calling Line Verification, Flexible Call Routing and Billing, and Split Charging.
Participation in international R&D programmes
INTRACOM TELECOM is actively engaged in international R&D programmes.
Start of page